Saturday, January 25, 2020

How to Make Your Own Anti-Static Bag


We've all been there, whether its the embossing powder that sticks to the ink AND everywhere else or the shaker card window that acts more like a magnet then a piece of acetate.

It's enough to drive the common crafter mad!

Well, no more....

Yes I could buy one from Michaels or order online but living an hours drive from the city and being in need of this thing in the moment, neither of these options were practical. So I did a bit of research and as it turns out its super easy to make and as far as the cost goes, for about half the cost of one of these bags on Amazon,  I can make about a hundred of them. lol  So here's what your going to need....

CRAFTING ANTI-STATIC BAG TUTORIAL



SUPPLIES

Cut of cotton fabric 6" x 3"
Thread or permanent double sided tape
Cornstarch Baby Powder


HOW TO



STEP 1


I found a small piece of broad cloth and ironed it out so its perfectly smooth

 

STEP 2


Next I measured out the dimensions for the bag and drew a 6" x 3" rectangle onto the back of the fabric and cut it out.  I folded it in half with right sides together and pressed the crease with my iron.

STEP 3

 

After adding a couple of pins to keep the edges in place I used my sewing machine to stitch around 3 sides including the folded edge.


I clipped the corners off the 2 corners of the folded stitched end so that they would lay smoothly when turned right side out.

STEP 4

 

Turning the bag right side out,  I folded the top down about 1cm and prepared to fill the bag with Cornstarch Baby Powder I bought for this project.



STEP 5

 

The baby powder proved to make quite a mess when I tried to squirt it into the bag so I grabbed a small plastic cup and added the baby powder to the cup and then just dumped it in to the bag.  I didn't measure it out but it was likely a couple of TBSP's that ended up in the bag.

LAST STEP

With the baby powder inside, I folded the opening inside of the bag about a 1/4 inch,  then stitched the bag closed.  Now this bag can be rubbed on to the surface before embossing or using for a shaker window to prevent the static mess.


I hope this helps you out as much as it helped me out!  Let me know in the comments if there are any other crafting scenarios where an anti-static bag like this would come in handy.

Til next time.....happy crafting!
Lizzy xo

2 comments:

  1. Thank You for the mini-tutorial on this static bag.. Hugs.. AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, Love, Love this! First I want to say, it is sorta hard to do but taking a butter knife to the lip of the top of the baby powder you can get it off and it will snap back on. My kids were allergic to any baby powders so I bought the trial sizes emptied them and put pure corn starch in them for their bottoms. That is how I did it. Second, Can you use just plain corn starch do you know? Third, I would like to link from my blog, and fanpage to this tutorial if that is ok? Thank you for your time! clsteinbeck@yahoo.com Christi

    ReplyDelete